- Today I went to see the movie Frozen with my nephew.
- In the early part of the movie the princess gets engaged to a prince that she just met because they instantly fell “in love.”
- This was when I turned to my nephew and said incredulously, “Engaged?! They just met!!” His answer was simple, “This is a fairy tale.”
- Then I realized I was applying the real world to a fairy tale. I was using my experience in the real world of failed relationships, divorces all around me, and unhappy marriages as my basis.
- When I was a kid I wouldn’t have questioned this plot point in the movie. In kid world, all things are possible.
- When we become adults our worlds become less fairy tale and more stark reality.
- Is this always a good thing? Sometimes it’s good to keep a little bit of hope against hope and believe in the unbelievable in our workaday adult lives.
- It doesn’t hurt to sprinkle a little fairy dust here and there.